A few totally frivolous links, plus a few more thought-provoking ones for you folks today:
These 40 things will make you feel old, apparently. Many kids today have never seen a floppy disk, nor have they heard the sound of the wild modem, howling in the night for the blood of your MIDI sound files. Or whatever it is modems howl for; I never did figure that one out.
- Also from BuzzFeed is this little article about the independent athletes competing in this year’s Olympics. I didn’t even know this could happen, and while the title made me think of that sad, sad “Man Without a Country” story, the independent athletes seem to have just missed some paperwork deadlines.
- Here are a few funny tweets about the opening ceremony of the Olympics. I thought the Voldemort puppet was pretty dang scary. I would not like to meet that puppet in a dark alley, is all I’m saying.
- What’s the deal with whooping cough lately? Well, there are a number of reasons that could be behind the recent uptick in whooping cough (pertussis) cases, as it turns out.
- Being an editor is a tough job. Sometimes dealing with reporters is kinda like herding cats. …and sometimes it’s a lot like herding cats.
- Check out this visualization map of all the tornadoes in the U.S., color-coded by intensity! I can’t believe how long the tracks on some of these monsters were. IDV User Experience has a lot of other neat visualizations and info graphics, too.
- And here’s a fun, quirky blog featuring outfits inspired by video game characters! Fashion and nerdery, together at last! Check out Carmen Sandiego. (via BoingBoing)
- I am so glad now I was never allowed to have my picture taken at Glamour Shots. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.