Here are a few things you might find to be of general interest:
- Microbes may be causing explosions in manure pits in hog farms. Yikes!
- Apparently, Monsanto was really surprised that Roundup-resistant weeds would evolve. (via BoingBoing)
- Norway’s new Minister of International Development loves LARPing and roleplaying! I would love to play Dungeons & Dragons with this guy, he’s had some wacky-fun character ideas. (via BoingBoing)
- What do you need to climb Mount Everest? And what would you have needed if you were, say, Edmund Hillary? Things have changed, as it turns out. (via BoingBoing)
- Quick, name five famous women scientists! … yes, there have been some, besides Marie Curie. And yes, besides her daughter. Here are images of just a few women, doing science.
- How many hours of sleep do you want your surgeon to have had before he starts opening up your chest cavity? Probably more than 0, I’m guessing. Are doctors dangerously sleep-deprived? Or maybe you are, too? (Epworth link via Health Beat)
- And finally, it may or may not surprise you to learn that the Nazis were also jazz nazis. That is to say, they developed all sorts of bizarre restrictions about what jazz could and could not be performed. Scat singing, for example, was right out. And being Nazis, they attributed everything they did not like to racial minorities. (via BoingBoing)