I don’t know whether I should believe in ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties, but there certainly are things that go bump in the night, and there are many real things to fear in the world.
Picture this, if you will: a family who moves into a dilapidated house built around 1870 begins to hear strange noises at night. They see frightening apparitions, experience odd dreams and headaches… suddenly, their house plants die. The children become listless and no longer play, caring about nothing, while the adults feel a persistent chill in the air.
At last, the servants tell the homeowners the house is haunted.
And it is.
Highlight the paragraph below, written in white text, for the genuinely chilling solution to the mystery.
There are no ghosts involved at all. Instead, the house of horror is haunted by a common killer–carbon monoxide, which slays approximately 500 people each year in the U.S. alone. The deadly gas, spewing from the furnace, which was “in bad shape,” caused all the symptoms, all the strangeness, everything.