A New Name for the Heat Wave-Streak-Bubble-Dome

I keep referring to the heat wave as a “heat wave,” but it’s really more of a heat bubble. That’s how the National Weather Service meteorologist described it to me.

Since then, though, I’ve heard it referred to by other names. (All of them have been safe to say in front of children. Most of the descriptors for those names haven’t been, though.)

  • In this AP story, it’s a “dome” and a “pressure cooker.”
  • Here it’s a “heat wave.”
  • And here, they’re “stretches.”
  • This headline calls it a “scorcher” and a person in the article calls it a “streak.”

I propose to make a noun out of a verb and call it a “wilt.”

How does that sound?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>